Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Wonder Years

      This story is for old friends that become new friends again. For years my self esteem has been effected by some stuff that happened right after I graduated from college. I won't get in to the particulars of that, it's not important any more. I will, however, say that by no longer being friends with most of my college friends it really weighed on me. I shut them out because at the time I felt it was what I had to do.
  
      My college years were THE BEST. I lived in a house in Kent with 3-4 other insane ladies at any given time. We did some of the most fun stuff ever, and I felt like the people I lived with embraced my very odd sense of humor. To just graze the surface of some of the things we did: we drove around in a seabring convertible with a home phone and ski caps on in mid summer. We screamed at people, and made fake phone calls. We sat on the front steps and yelled at people as they walked past. We stood inside and did it from below the window sills so people wouldn't know where it was coming from. We got REALLY drunk. A lot. We shaved half of a guys beard off. I wore oranges inside my bra for an entire party, until they ended up in the tank of our toilet, and pee in our sugar jar. We danced, A LOT. I still own the chair we used to place in the middle of our living room to give random mock lap dances that were not even remotely sexy. They were sweaty hot messes of ridiculously funny weirdness.

        Where I went to school there was a place called the Euro Gyro. This place had THE FOOD you wanted at 4 AM after binge drinking until you were schmasted. (T-Money, I have NEVER been drunk) Euro Gyro delivered, and they came with beer if you needed it. Their food was amazing, but you waited for it for a long time to arrive. When you are drunk and it's 3 AM, time is of the essence. The clock is ticking on vomit or pass out. (T-Money, I am not condoning this behavior.)

        I became very close friends with a girl named Alex in college. She was always a blast to hang with. We have HOURS of stories to tell about living together. The days of living with Alex were by far, the best. Alex had a long term boyfriend in college named Dave. We renamed him the "weekend warrior." Alex and Dave would take turns driving two hours each weekend to be together throughout their college careers. Dave, in his own right, deserves an introduction. Dave, is probably the nicest human being I have ever met. He is pretty much the 2010 young version of a Mr. Rodgers, minus any creepy obsession with small towns and children. Dave, also doesn't feel the need to sing when he puts on a sweater. However, in all the years I knew Dave, I had never seen him mad. It would be like pissing off Santa Claus. It just doesn't happen.

       Alex finally wised up and transfered to the same school as Dave. Then, they would BOTH drive up to Kent to party it up with the ladies of the 598. That was our address. I wasn't very creative, but it stuck.  We went out one night for some random celebration. Who knows, maybe I got my hair highlighted. Let's celebrate! We partied, and pretty hard (T-Money, I only watched as everyone else got very drunk). We walked home. In between this, inevitably one of the 598 girls was outside at some point crying on some sort of stoop or step. It was an EVERY TIME occurrence. So, there we were. It was 2 AM and we were starving. We order the Euro Gyro. They tell us it will take about an hour to get there. Fair enough everyone can keep drinking for another hour while our food arrives. 1 hour passes. Nothing. 1 1/2 hours later Dave calls Euro Gyro back. They give a lame excuse. We are all sooooo tired and HUNGRY. 2 people already passed out. Finally our food arrives. Dave is pissed off. He goes to the door, opens it to retrieve our food, and proceeds to tell our delivery man that he spoke with the manager, and the manager said our food was free for how long we had waited. The stoned delivery driver accepts this and leaves. He gets in his car, and then comes back to our door. He starts knocking over and over and we just sit there and laugh. He starts screaming, "YOU GUYS ARE LIARS!" We would giggle and laugh, and he would say, "I can hear you ass holes laughing!" He stood there for a good 20 minutes. While it was terrible, I will always remember that night fondly. That is why Euro Gyro will never deliver to our house in Kent ever again. Oh memories.

       As I dive further into my pregnancy, I start reminiscing more about all the things I have done in my life. I guess part of me fears that I won't still be me after T-Money comes. That I won't still be random. I picture myself being the girl that is crying on the stoop indefinitely. I really hope that I will be that Mom that handles it all so well, and has tons of funny stories like this one to tell. I am not going to be a Mom that shields my kids from the life I once lived. I am not ashamed. I have had an awesome ride so far. Can't wait for T-Money to get here so I can bore him/her with all my stories. I think that's actually why we have children. We run out of people to tell our boring stories, so we just create new people so we can keep telling the same stories. That's what I am going with.

3 comments:

  1. oh yes, but I always preferred Gyro Bob! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You girls were awesome! Had some great partoes. I remember all the times meyrose, ben and i drove up from ak-rowdy to aprty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were you drunk when you wrote this comment?!? hahah What are partoes?

    ReplyDelete