Monday, September 27, 2010

Public vs. Private

  This isn't going to be my best post. We will get into that in a bit.
 
    In my artwork over the years, I have discussed quite often the idea of public vs. private. What we as a culture deem necessary to keep to ourselves rather than share with others or the world at large, versus what I deem necessary to keep to myself. The truth and reality of public vs. private comes down to generational differences. My formative years were spent on the internet. I spoke to my friends via AOL IM. I had an e-mail address when I was 14 or so. (I like to brag about having an email account, I believe it was "megababe@...com". epic) We realized there were perils of the internet but as a generation, we embraced technology more than ever before. We were sort of the pioneers of new technology. Young-in's reading this...you're welcome. If it weren't for us, you would still be using pen and paper. So, what does it mean? I will tell you rainbow guy! It means we view information sharing differently. I am more open about who I am because I have always had a computer to type into. I know how to use a google search, and lot's of people's feeling are at my fingertips! Words flow out of me on a keyboard. It's easy. I don't fumble over my tongue, and if I make a misstep, the delete button instinctually reaches out to my ring finger.

      Ugh Kathryn Heigle needs to stop making movies. They all look terrible. I'm glad I misspelled it, it proves I'm not a closet fan.

      This was a tough week for me. That's why I didn't write much. First of all, my dog of 7 years had knee surgery. Gigi is what I refer to as my "dogter." She has been with me every step of the way thru a pretty insane journey. I was a mess because we had to drop her off and pick her up a day later. She had to stay in a vet's office over night. Shivering, with a cone on her head. The night before we had to get up at 5 AM to get her to the Doc's office on time, I got a phone call. Someone wanted to discuss this whole "blog" with me. It had offended some people that don't even know me. My response was a big fat, "so?" Basically the gist of it is that they were going to tell my Mom on me. WTF? Is this the 4th grade? She knows she's in this blog. She is glad I have an outlet to call my own, to get thru a very scary time in my life. You know, because she is cool as shit. She took an issue with one little excerpt. I removed it promptly. I can't say I blame her, but she did say it. But, I digress. Those of you that got there in time, we will forever share that memory. We can get together for drinks after T-money is born. We will laugh about it. I will cry. Just kidding. What I found out from that little bit of info I shared was: EVERYONE'S Mom does that stuff. Haha. People wrote to tell me their stories. I loved it. Keep em coming.

     So, the people did in fact tattle on me. One went so far as to copy and paste an excerpt from a post into an email and email it to someone else to show how easily information can be shared. Ummmmm, how's about you go ahead and use morris code? That would be impressive. Of COURSE you can copy and paste stuff. (Unless you still have one of those computers from the 80's with the green screen) I could also write something, and say person 1 wrote it, and create an entire elaborate blog around it. I could write an email from a fake email account, claiming to be person 1, and send it to tons of people. This all came down to a big case of the sky is falling and to "protect" my mother they tried to tell her all the ways in which I was hurting her.  This person did all of this to "keep the peace." Your version of peace is different than mine, person 1. So, I was left to feel angry. I don't take kindly to subjective criticism. You can like or not like all you want, but it's not going to stop me from getting thru a trying time in my life.

      I live in a military town. I am pregnant. I just moved back to America from another country. We only have 1 car right now. All of these are facts, and another fact is, I am a bit lonely. This is how I am getting thru. It is creative sharing, and allows people to hear about what's going on in my life without me tying them down to a conversation that they may not be able to have at that given time. Trying to make friends in a military town is like trying to find an item of mine that doesn't have boogers on it.

      I would like to keep going with my writing. I kinda think I am good at it. People like to read about Stealth Farts and crazy landlords. The more I write the better I will become. In the long run, there may be a little niche in the writing market for me. I think big. That's what I do. So, in the future, if there are any problems with my blog, feel free to talk to me. I will refer you to Chad, my PR person. He will then quickly tell you, "Go fuck yourself."

      I am so glad I got this off my chest. I am already feeling the writing itch again. More in a day or two.

    

3 comments:

  1. Im glad your blogging..It helps me feel like I know whats going on with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that anyone that truly loves you will appreciate that you have found a way to help you cope. And I agree that your posts help me feel up to date with your life and I miss you so much. Oh, also, they make me laugh till I cry every time! So if Chad happens to be busy one day, direct those complainers my way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan! Keep on keeping on! You have great comic timing. Plus T-Money will cherish this record of his/her early gestation. ;-)

    ReplyDelete