Monday, January 17, 2011

Charlie and Religion

This isn't going to be a funny post.

This is an honest post.

Meant to get a few things off my chest.

In today's day and age, we don't expect our children to take over family businesses and follow in the path that we choose for them. That is long gone as more and more companies like Wal-Mart and Starbucks move into our every town. With that being said, I believe that religion is the same. I don't speak very often about my religious preferences for several reasons. I believe that because my belief differs from the masses so vastly, all it does is lead to arguments and judgements. I am an atheist. I don't say it often. I respect that others find comfort and guidance in their religion. I however, do not. I don't have a "posse of peeps" in my corner to back me up. That's really not our style. My style also isn't setting things on fire, or navigating through life without a moral compass. I just get so tired of never stating, "Hey, a little less Godish stuff would be cool." I am expected to not get offended with the, "I will pray for you, God bless you, and have a blessed day." If I returned with "there is no afterlife, have a great day" I would be frowned upon. If I don't speak up, and others that have the same opinions don't, we will forever be in this gray area. We have the same right to let it be known how we perceive life. We are not terrible people that will prey upon you and your children. I go by the same moral code as my believer friends. I try to be a good person because that's what I want to do. Not for anyone else. I try to be understanding, kind, warm, and generous because that's what I feel all people should be. Not because of I was told to do so.

I am a little paranoid about putting this out there. Mostly because I don't want to offend any of my family and friends. What I will say is, I am not taking your faith away. I am simply believing in my own.

When I was growing up, I thought God was watching me. No really, I didn't like to take my clothes off to take baths. I thought he was WATCHING me. All the time. It was frightening and scary to me. That's not why I don't believe. I don't plan on telling you why I don't. That's completely irrelevant to this post.

As we draw closer to expulsion date 4/1/2011, I have been asked if I will raise Charlie in a faith. My answer is, yes. I will raise him in lots of different faiths, as I believe that tolerance, understanding, and acceptance is the key to raising a well adjusted thoughtful child. Just like I don't plan on setting out a life path for him, I don't plan on setting out a religious path for him either. That doesn't mean I want our friends and family influencing or pushing him in one direction or another. I want Charlie to experience, Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Taoism, and any other religious culture we run into along the way. I know what that entails. I am not romanticizing this. It will be a lot of work. Getting in touch with religious organization after religious organization. Explaining that I intend to raise my kids with a broad knowledge that encourages acceptance and knowledge. Allowing my children to make their own decisions about what's out there, and not forcing them down any set path. It will take time, but I kind of like to view it as an adventure. It will be a learning experience for me too. That's the best way to show children how wonderful learning can be. You want to know more? Let's explore it! It is my job as a parent to teach my children how to obtain answers to the toughest questions out there.

If you are interested in learning more, or want to be involved, please feel free to contact me.

1 comment:

  1. I had several students whose parents exposed them to various faiths like this, and they were all curious, respectful, open-minded, and empathic. When kids have parents who care like you do, parents who recognize them as autonomous, who guide them, not indoctrinate them, they really prosper.

    One of the bloggers I really like, Annie at Ph.D. in Parenting, writes from time to time about raising kids without religion: http://www.phdinparenting.com/category/values/.

    ReplyDelete